Saturday, October 4, 2008

Finally Settled In

Wow so after almost 6 weeks I am finally settled into Aix. So much has gone on since I got here and I promise I will detail them over the next couple of days. We finally found a flat and just got internet set up last Tuesday.

My birthday was last weekend and my roommates, Kalesia and Lindsay, took me on a surprise trip to Lyon. We arrived and got to check the city out for a couple of hours. Then after an "apero" (pre-night drink) we got on the metro and started heading south. I wasn't sure where I was going but once I saw the stop for Stade de Gerland, I knew they were taking me to see Olympique Lyonnais play. WOW I could not believe it. They were playing AS Nancy Lorraine in a regular season Ligue 1 Game. The atmosphere was incredible. After picking up an OL Scarf we headed to our seats. We had pretty good seats behind the visitor's goal for the first half. The fans were really into it as they chanted all of the Lyon songs throughout the first half's duration. After a missed opportunity, Marseille and France's young super star striker, Karim Benzema capitalized on close shooting chance in the 31st minute. After one fancy stepover the youngster placed the shot low and past the keeper at the near post to put OL up 1-0. OL was really pressuring now. Not even 5 minutes later OL had a counter chance come from out of their defense where a long ball was played into the left flanker, Anthony Mounier, whose birthday happened to be that day as well (crazy). He then took it the length of the Nancy half only to slide a cross right in the path of the oncoming OL Striker, Fred. This goal put OL up 2-0. Lyon seemed to have things in the bag until a quick recovery goal from Nancy put the score at 2-1.

At halftime I was on top of the world. This really was incredible. The second half was a bit of a bore with not much action going forward for either team. So the game ended 2-1 to Lyon which made the home fans happy.

Following the game we had a nice dinner complete with a brownie shooting pyrotechnics to give a great ending to the day.

School has kept us all really busy with group projects, presentations, and case studies; but, I really am learning a lot about the buisness mentality that is critical to being successful at any company.

With that said it is time for me to go get ready. Tonight I am heading to Marseille to watch yet another Ligue 1 match. I am absolutely stoked for the night. All I have heard is how intense the fans are in Marseille. Olympique Marseille is not merely a team but a way of life.

I love everyone and miss all of you very much.

Oh and don't worry I have had my fair share of red wines, cheese and bread.

Ciao. A bientot!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rompetelitas, más que un equipo, una forma de vida (César León, 2006)...
¡Vamos Rompetelitas!